Friday, 18 November 2011

Community Notice: 101 - The New Non-Emergency Police Telephone Number

Thames Valley Police, along with other police forces across the country, have introduced a new non-emergency telephone number: 101.

The new 101 number will run alongside the existing 0845 8 505 505 number until the end of March 2012 when the old number will be phased out.

Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobiles) cost 15 pence per call no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

What you can report using 101

Call 101 to contact the police to report less urgent crime and disorder or to speak to your local officers. For example, call 101:

  • if your car has been stolen 
  • if your property has been damaged 
  • if you suspect drug use or dealing in your local area
  • to report a minor traffic accident 
  • to give the police information about crime in your area 
  • to speak to the police about a general enquiry 

When you should use 999 instead
In an emergency always call 999. You should call 999 if:
  • a crime is in progress 
  • someone suspected of a crime is nearby 
  • there is danger to life violence is being used or threatened 

For More information: